Sunday, November 29, 2009

What's in a name?

In case you were wondering, (I know you weren’t but for the point of this entry humor me) there is a small story behind my chosen moniker, Not So Bad Lit. Around September of last year I read an interview buy author Nicholas Sparks. As an aspiring writer of Romance, his being some of the most loved novels out there, I was very interested in what he had to say.

This is a snippet:

“I write a dramatic epic love story, I write modern-day Greek tragedies, and there’s a big difference between that and romance.”

"You have romance novels, and then you have what I do.”

Jigga-what?

Now, I could go on forever to discuss why these comments bother me, but I think I’ll just stick with my first reaction to reading those comments. (Beside, this article puts it just about perfect. http://www.film.com/celebrities/nicholas-sparks/story/differences-between-nicholas-sparks-william/23318447)

Why is Romance Novelist such a dreaded label? It’s not so bad. But some people avoid the term like the plague. So, from that point on I decided that I was going to join the Nicholas Sparks trend.

No, I don’t write Greek Tragedies, too dark and twisty. And Romance Novels, as if, that’s so not me.

I write Not-so-bad-lit!

Better Recognize!

Now you know. :p

4 comments:

  1. RE: Nicholas Sparks - we write what we write and we, the author, don't always categorize our writing. It's the publishers who have to put us in a certain square and call us whatever.
    I'm sure I'll get comments on this but I can't say I love N Sparks books like the rest of the world. I think they're okay stories and make better movies than novels. We each have to find our own way and when we do we shouldn't have to be put in a slot.
    Thanks for the good post. Barb
    www.barbwhitti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started writing, I had no genre in mind...I just wrote and I wrote what was near and dear to me and those stories included great loves and losses of said love.

    Years later...when I did indeed have to put a label on what I wrote...I struggled. I had decided it was women's fiction but then later found that to truly be WF, you needed to remove the romantic aspect and if you still have a story, well....then it is WF. If not...guess what...romance. Nicolas Sparks can say his stuff isn't romance, but try and take out the romance in his stories and see what's left. Not much.

    I did have issues with the romance label at first....Fabio covers with a bare chest and women with heaving bosoms was so not what I had in mind for my career....but then I did some research and romance is a MULTI-BILLION dollar industry and that definitely changed my mind. Romance is so much different now than it was 10-20 years ago. You can have a smart protagonist...she can have a fab job, she can be strong....no doormat women necessary.

    If you're having issues with calling what you write romance, take a look at http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.com/index.php and see how you feel then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't think Nick Sparks writes romances, either. Romance, by definition, must have an "emotionally satisfying" ending, and his usually don't. I'm not a huge fan of his either just because I feel like his stories/plots outweigh his ability as a wordsmith, but I couldn't put down DEAR JOHN.

    I don't think there's anything wrong with being called a "romance novelist" if that's what you want to be and what you write. Own it.

    Plus, romance novelists tend to make more money than anybody else. They get followings and can sell their books a lot easier than most authors.

    Great blog. I found you through Roni Griffin's dialogue blogfest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, and thanks for the comments.

    I have no problem with the romance label, I just hate labels, you know. And that article really rubbed me the wrong way. Very snotty. lol I don’t know, if someone were to call me a romance writer I certainly wouldn’t get into a huff about it.

    However, thanks to Mr. Sparks, I came up with a great moniker.

    KM, after The Notebook I haven’t been able to read another Sparks novel. I just felt Manipulated, can’t tell you why but I didn’t like how I felt after reading it. I, personally, don’t read stories that make me feel worse about life. Call me crazy, I like a happy ending or at least a hopeful one.

    Thank all of you for stopping by. = )

    Kristian

    ReplyDelete