Thursday, April 29, 2010

Who are you? Who, who?

Where are my manners? I believe a little introduction is in order.

I’m Kristian and I love to write. Ha, this sort of feels like an AA meeting. Which, if you think about it, is a perfect way to describe writing—an addiction.

You see, I have this love-hate relationship with writing. Now, don’t take that the wrong way. I do LOVE writing but sometimes we have these knockdown-drag-out fights that don’t end well. One of us is left crying (it’s always me) and the other laughs at how easy it was to break an already weakened spirit.

Currently, we are doing are best to get back together for the long haul. We are soul mates, after all. All roads lead back…this is my destiny (you just knew I would get a “Lost” reference in here sooner or later.)

Let’s see, over the last 15 years I have tried my best to quite the stuff at least a dozen times. There have been times I’ve told myself that I don’t need it, that all this writing stuff was just a silly waste of time. Not good enough. Nope, no one cares about what I want to write about.

I’ve thought it all, felt it all.

I wrote my first novel when I was 17. The summer before I went to college I spent every waking moment on this one goal. I wrote it in three months on an old Brother word processor. (Does anyone else remember those things?) It ended up being over 400 pages long, single spaced. (Don't judge, I was a kid who had no idea what she was doing.) I still have the thick stack of papers, too.  It’s a reminder of how far I’ve come. To say it was bad would be an understatement, BUT there was promise.  I still love the idea, the characters, and I do plan to clean it up one day.

Then freshmen year came and it marked our first official break-up. I was away from home for the very first time. (And I do mean ever, I was never allowed sleepovers.) So, trying to get through college, and a shitty professor who claimed I had no imagination, I quit cold turkey.

Thus began our on-off relationship.

This is my current status:

1 relic.

A mostly completed romantic suspense novel that has been going though editing hell for about 5 years now.

A fully developed idea, ½ drafted chick lit I can’t quite figure out how to structure.

and

An idea for an urban fantasy that I’m not totally confidante that I can tackle yet.

Yes, I know what you’re thinking; I am all over the place. But I really don’t like being tied down by labels. I can only write what comes into my mind, and these are the results.

Do you think that’s a bad thing? Do you also have a love-hate relationship with writing? How many times have the two of you broken up?

Love to hear from you.

Til next time,
Kristian

No comments:

Post a Comment